Originally Posted by Number19
I have been going back and forth for two weeks over barrel length - whether to go with the 30" or 34". Ninety percent of the time, I shoot my CZ at 25yds. If I stay off caffeine, and I'm really on, I shoot 1 1/2" groups (off hand with aperture sights). Driving into town for breakfast this morning I got to thinking, if I stick with the 30" barrel, this may just be what I need to get me to the next level.

The long range (150 yd) hunting round I'd like to load for is the Nosler 60gr Partition. For acceptable expansion at 150 yards I need 2000 fps. Over at the Hornet thread, John used 10.3 gr of L'l Gun out of a 21" Contender with a 1:12 twist and got 2450 fps with 1" groups at 100 yds.

The discussion here has persuaded me to go with the 30" barrel.

I think I'll stick with .22 Hornet. Reading up on Schteuzen matches, I found nothing that would disqualify the Hornet. I say this because I thought I had read previously that calibers were restricted to those originating in the 1800's.

You need to research scheutzen matches again. Almost all center fire scheutzen matches use CAST LEAD BULLETS ONLY - NO JACKETED SLUGS. Now ask anyone who's shot Scheutzen matches if a .22 cal rifle would be a good choice for a an accurate 200 yard rifle shooting cast lead slugs. The last 150 years of Scheutzen experience says no way.

Like I said. If you want to shoot for your own pleasure, the 22 Hornet is fine- but it would be far down the list of usable calibers for Scheutzen matches.

That is why I tried to give you some good advice about the 22LR. it is the ONLY competitive caliber one can use in a sanctioned Schutzen match that you can actually buy loaded ammo for off the shelf.. If you want to ever shoot centerfire Scheutzen, you need to go toa 25-20 or 32.20 at least and get into precision bullet casting.

BTW, Why use a 60g bullet in a 22 Hornet? It makes no sense. I am not saying it can't be loaded, but even the fastest twist seen in most Hornets is a 1-14" twist. I believe that is what C Sharps uses. That bullet does not even stabilize well in many 22-250s with 1-14" twists at 3,500 FPS let alone ,2,500FPS in a Hornet..

Besides that fact, unless you plan on hunting deer with it, the 40g slugs are MUCH faster and will actually hit harder.
A 40g Hornady V max leaving a 30" barrel at 3,000FPS from the muzzle will be going over 2,000FPS AT 200 yards.

At 200 yards, that is like walking up to something and sticking the muzzle of a 22 mag rifle loaded with 40g HP loads on it and pulling the trigger. Plenty of power unless you are trying to kill deer with it. Not to mention buck wind much better and shoot flatter.
And, the Vmax or Ballistic tip type 40g slugs will likely shoot into TINY little groups at 100 yards when shot from neck sized, fireformed cases..

Just the voice of experience.

Last edited by jim62; 03/05/11.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt