Originally Posted by ratsmacker
And again, even with a 12 twist, the Hornet cannot push a 60gr. bullet fast enough to stabilize it. I can't repeat that enough.
Since I haven't actually shot this rifle just yet, I haven't first hand experience to comment on this. I inquired about this load in the reloading thread,on this forum, and campfire kahuna Mule Deer responded that he was surprised to find that the 60gr Partition would stabilize in his T/C Contender Carbine with a 21" barrel and 1:12 twist. He got 1" to 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards.

I do not intend making this heavy load my primary round, but I do intend knowing what the full capabilities of my rifle are.

If you want to shoot schuetzen, you're probably better off with a .32/40 or .38/55, something with enough mass to work in the wind at 200 yards.
I do not intend shooting competitive Schuetzen. My primary distance with this rifle will be off hand shooting at 100 yds, but my gun club does have friendly monthly competitions and so occasionally I'll be shooting at 150 and 200 yds.

For these longer distances I have found a reliable source who has had success with a 56gr cast bullet, getting 1 1/2" groups at 150 yds and 2 1/4" groups at 200 yds.

So I'm sure I can find a load to at least duplicate this, and I'll just have to see if I can do better with my C.Sharps.

Now, to move in a different direction on this topic, what goes into effectiveness of a bullet? Looking at a broad range of bullets, I have found a 62gr Speer, a full metal jacket, which has an exceptional Coefficent of .307 and a Sectional Density of .177. If I put this bullet on top of 10.0 (+) grains of Lil'Gun, I should get at least 2500 fps.

Looking at the Hornady .40gr V-MAX, a BT design, this little bullet will obviously get a much higher velocity and you would expect excellent accuracy. But this bullet only has a listed Coefficent of .200, well below the larger bullet.

Which bullet should have superior performance at 100 yds and what am I over looking?