Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by PPosey

Man should have bought a chest freezer just small enough to fit in that pickup,,,, make sure you can plug it in and run the freezer some every few hours,,, all the jiggling may have killed the compressor or it may have not, helped haul a huge load of frozen elk from Ut to TN like that,,, drive 4-5 hours and take a hour break

Something that has worked for us is to use the big Igloo ice chests. We pack ice around the meat to get it cooled down quickly and throw dry ice in on top. We've done that with elk and kept the meat good for days. Also worked for antelope in Wyoming in much warmer temps and when we got the meat to the processor in Colorado a couple days later some of it was frozen. Longer trips might require more ice and dry ice but its easy to monitor and the water from melted ice is easily drained.

When I killed a cow elk in Colorado I still had a NE Oregon elk camp ahead of me... going home before the Oregon hunt would have added a whole day of driving. Left Colorado with a butchered/wrapped elk frozen hard and in coolers packed with dry ice (from Wal-Mart). Spent the night in Idaho and bought more dry ice. When I got to camp I put the coolers on the cold side of the tent, and then packed around them with tarps and hay. It was getting around 32F at night, mid-50's in the day... The meat was still frozen (though not "hard") a week later when I left for home with a whole 'nuther elk (quartered).

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!