Originally Posted by Reno
..... But this does lengthen the round to 3.365" COAL. However it looks suitably rugged enough for a hunting round and it fits the mag and action without issues.
To accommodate the additional cartridge length I will need to ream .090" plus whatever freebore "jump" is required. I have a throat reamer coming.... What could possibly go wrong? smile

Questions for those that have done this before...

Reno: IME....nothing will go wrong if the job is done correctly. smile

I have never throated to the Barnes but friends and I have done quite a few 7RM barrels for the 160 gr NPT with base seated even with base of case neck. I cannot recall the precise OAL,but it is long,and yet will fit a Rem 700.Have also done the same with the 300 Win mag on H&H length M70's and Rem 700's.

It makes sense with the lighter mono you are using as many of these bullets are longer for their weight;it may be a minor thing really,but I sort of feel like you and hate bullets peeking out of cases when I have a magazine capable of handling the additional OAL.

This may be more fettish than substance but so is most of rifle looneyism... smile

I have hunted a good deal with rifles throated in this manner (both 7RM's and 300 Win)with no issues.There is enough neck tension to hold the bullets,at least with the bullets I used, there always was.

I can't comment on powder charges because there are too many other factors,and your load work up and chronograph will tell you where to stop.But I think it will work fine,giving you more flexibility.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.