Good observations all and of course the question of "originality" is mute given the scope and sling swivels. This alone probably kills any serious collector value.

But the "originality" of the nickel plated parts vis a vis "special order trimmings" shown in Murray's book remains of great interest because I am increasingly of the opinion that this Savage is in the exceptional condition expected of a near-mint firearm. I think originality (save scope and swivels) is a genuine possibility.

I can perhaps account for the "shine" by noting that the stocks smells of a recent linseed oil rub and that I wiped an oil film over metal before photos. Other than noting I don't see anything obvious that suggests the stock was sanded versus 90+ years of wood shrinkage, I have nothing to add here. What I have done is look inside and out without finding any of the usual signs of wear that re-finishing usually fails to cover. This is true of lever mechanism, screw heads, TD threads, and barrel. The finish on the butt plate appears as new. But more importantly, there are no dings or dents or rough spots on serration edges as normally occur the first time a butt is rested on a rock. Finish under the butt and under the forearm is consistent with the stock exterior. In the forearm, the nut holding the front sling swivel breaks this finish and is probably contemporary with addition of the scope circa 1960. I can't rule out refinishing on my own. But if it was done, it was done 50 years ago, was done awfully well, and was done to a rifle that had been lightly used at worst when it was refinished.

Plus, I was told a story by an identifiable member of the community that accounts for the rifle's ownership through 3 generations from new. We all know what stories are usually worth, especially presented by a seller trying to justify his price. But the seller offered the rifle to me for what would be considered a good deal on a battered gray rat (per brags on this forum!) before he told me the story, and had nothing to gain other than a degree of vindication. The one thing I am pretty sure of is that nobody else in America bought a shooter 250/3000 in equal or better condition this month for less!

So does anyone really know what "Special Order Nickel Plated Trimmings" are?

And

Would a Factory Letter indicate such "special order" properties?