Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Read my post again.

Why would a powder manufacturer (in the case Aastralian Defense Industries) change the formulation, or deterrent coating, or ANYTHING in one of their most popular powders?

Mule Deer, because of differences in raw materials from day to day manufacture, plus getting raw materials from a different manufacturer, if by chance one supplier were to go out of business. Just as there can be variations from lot to lot by the same manufacturer, attributed to moisture in the example you gave, there can also be variations from the supplier of certain raw materials.

I am guessing that the deterrent coating is a type of graphite. The thickness of this coating, even if the same formulation, can alter burning rate. Probably not much, and more than likely powder manufacturers do constant testing to remain on top of this, but I can understand anything man made varying slightly from day to day, or even year to year.

Two types of military surplus powder, 4895 and 4831, and perhaps others did vary quite a bit from lot to lot, because of moisture content, formulation, war time manufacture, or who knows?