Originally Posted by logcutter

Howdy Jim...

So your not a premium bullet guy anymore or are the leveractions the exception to the rule?You once spoke premium for leverguns and your choice of North Forks but now the gummie tip?

Just curious to your observations with the Hornady gummie tip.

Jayco

I�m still running 350g North Forks through the .45-70 � no change there. Can�t get a premium for the .375 Winchester so I�m running 225g Hornady . Started playing with the .30-30 and FTX last year and was amazed at the results on paper � by far the tightest groups I�ve had, including .5� during load development. Took it to the range two weeks running and fired one shot each week. Too bad I used different targets as the holes would have been touching or darn near so.

I suspect I�ll give the MonoFlex a try later this year, after hunting seasons are over. If they work out like the FTX, I�ll probably use them for hunting and the FTX for play and most of my practice. The 170g Partitions and Speer FP I have loaded and have hunted with in the past are now plinking loads. Never could get good consistency with the Partitions anyway and kept reverting to the Speer.

Yeah, the levers are an exception. Especially the Browning .44 Mag � I�m happy with C&Cs at 1881fps at the muzzle. The bolts all get North Fork, Barnes MRX or TTSX, Swift Scirocco II or Nosler AccuBond. Still not sold on the last two but will likely try them again this year. I still have a box of Federal 160g Partitions for the 7mm RM from the days when I took them as back-up ammo fro my Grand Slam loads. Just checked out of curiosity, 17 loaded rounds in the box. The lot number is 350158Z239. Not sure how old they are but I�m guessing they are from the last century.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.