Originally Posted by brooksrange
If you had to choose a sheep gun in grizz country would you shoot the 270 WCF with 150gr at 2900; the 270 Weatherby 150gr at 3200 or the 300 win mag with 180gr at 3050fps? All shoot Partitions or TSX pretty well.

I have guns in the above cartridges and I am just curious what you might choose and why?

Sheep would be under 400 yards 90% of the time; Grizz, between 15 yards and 150 yards with maybe a longer shot under the right conditions.

YES!!! to the .270 Win. on both. I've used the .270 for years here & know what it can do. Always with 150 gr. Partitions tho. Tho I've never personally taken a grizzly with it, my former partner did - 1 or 2 times as I recall. These were in the Brooks Range and he had no problem. I would not want a range of more than about 100 yards but otherwise, I'd do it. My .270 Win. gives me 2930 fps with a 150 Partition and I have complete confidence in the rifle's capability. THe only thing I might change is the bullet. Knowing the performance of NorthFork bullets, I could very well lean towards their 150 gr. .27 cal. bullet. Works as good or better than the PArtition and is more accurate than the Partiton. As a side note, I'm taking my .270 WSM into the Brooks this Sat. & it's loaded with a 150 NorthFork. No way would I want a 130 gr. .27 cal. bullet on a grizzly but that's me. Just place your shot properly. I've never been a fan of the Weatherby mags. Most, if not all are too overbore IMHO.
Bear in Fairbanks

Last edited by Bear_in_Fairbanks; 08/03/11.

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.