Originally Posted by Fifth
Originally Posted by medicman

No need for 180 gr in the 308 for bear unless unusually large. I have cleanly taken 600 lb with 165gr tsx and Hornady Cup and core. I will not argue with 150 gr as have not recovered any 165 gr bullet.

Randy

That may be true most of the time but I tend to like heavy for caliber bullets for non-ideal shots. Furthermore, I wouldn't run 180's in a 308. That is why I prefer the 30-06 for a non-magnum "go to" rifle. Just my 2 pennies.

Ofcourse, you could just use a 7x57/8x57 mauser in a M98 action, a 6.5x55 in a M96 action, reconfigure the bolt, drill and tap, add a trigger,change the safety, even improve the sights, and still be less than the Ruger and be "dead nuts reliable". You do not get much more reliable than this action type, being that rough use and bad weather were taken into account when it was designed. I have yet to see one that would not shoot well enough to take your deer/bear/hog/moose, etc. inside 300 yards. Mostly a handloading undertaking, but who amoung us would not do that anyway. And you could just use cup and core bullets in medium to heavy for caliber weights and cleanly take game just like these combinations have for longer than most of us have been alive.

and for BobinNH,
You could just get a pre64 M70 in .270 or 30-06 and "rock on". Ofcourse it would cost more than the Ruger, but quality does cost less in the long run!!

and for Blackheart,
Just buy a win mod 94 or a marlin 336 in 30/30 and go kill [bleep].

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".