I have serial number 8953. The number is stamped on the receiver ring edges and not on the side of the gun. The metal buttplate has the early Indian head logo stamped on the bottom. The number stamped on the back matches the number on the stock. These numbers don't match the serial, but that's typical.

From older Savage parts schemtics I found that the Model 19 NRA had 3 major variations, at least in the Savage parts listings. The earlier guns (serial numbers below 25,000) were listed as the Savage Model 19 O.S. (Old Style). To differentiate, the models with serial numbers 25,000 to 45,000 were listed as the Model 19 NRA Match Rifle. I found this from copied pages from the Savage 1951 component parts listing (NUMRICH Parts).

The earlier guns had a smaller trigger pin, and the takedown bolts were longer, attaching directly to the receiver barrel assembly and sandwiching the magazine retaining parts between the stock and barrel/receiver. These also had a double point striker in the bolt. The later models had barrel studs attaching the mag retaining parts, with the takedown screws attaching to the studs. These had a single point striker with twin extractors. Up til 1933 these rifles were characterized by a full length military style stock and looked much the same externally (slight variations to the ejection port). In 1933 a better proportioned half stock was adopted, along with other upgrades, including the speed lock feature. Looking at the post 33 guns on auction sites, I've noticed they were still stamped as Model 19 NRA.

Google for a copy of the American Rifleman article, Savage Model 1919 NRA Rifle. I found a readable copy at Snipers hide.

I'm still looking for a few small parts that have been lost over the years. I can kick myself for not buying a parts gun. From what I've learned, $125 was a steal for one with only the bolt and mag missing. Some guns are worth more for parts than the whole. Any missing parts drive the price down drastically. A set of sling swivels will usually run about $50, if you can find them in decent shape. A OEM peep site, $100 plus, if you can find one. Complete bolts in good condition are usually $150 to $200. So... $300 or so for a 19NRA in good shape doesn't sound bad at all.