Twist calculator? Do provide the link!!
My bullets are only 1.060".
I don't have data for the 356 with bullets that heavy so I was using downgraded 358 data. I also want to keep the velocity down because my 5' 110lb wife may be shooting this when she takes the dogs out.
This won't be a go out in bear counrty and walk along gun. If I go into bear country (elk hunting or firewood cutting) I take a 358 Norma or when firewood cutting, a Dan Wesson 445 S Mag w/330gr bullets. My dogs aren't big enough to keep anything away. They may actually attract a predator. My Avatar has a pic of my 7 lb princess laugh. This gun is just for the bears that find their way too close to my house.
John Linebaugh lives across the creek from me and his research shows that over 1300 fps you don't gain a whole lot of penetration. Several years back he tested a 38 Spl with 220gr or 250gr (I forget) bullets at around 1100fps. At that time it penetrated the most - even exceeding a 458 WM. He even recommends 1200fps for his 475 and 500 Linebaughs. I guess if your after hogs or elk a little more velocity and shock effect can be a good thing. But for deep penetration he stays around 1200fps.

I have 4895, BLC-2, AA 2520, IMR 4007SSC, 4064 and Ramshot Big Game and TAC.

I'll keep it small loop for now. I may get the metal ceracoated to match my krylon stock paint job.

I'm planning on rebarreling my Savage 99 to 358 Win in order to fill that hole.
Can ya tell I am kinda partial to the 35 cal smirk

Last edited by Cowboybart; 09/06/11.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right