Originally Posted by richardca99
You're going to get about 200-250 fps additional MV from the 300 WSM over the .30-06 with 180 grain bullets. If you think you need that advantage given your expected range -- whether in terms of trajectory or retained energy -- than go with the WSM.

Personally, if I expected my shots to be within 300-350 yards, I'd go with the .30-06. If I really believed I'd be taking 400-450 yard shots, than I'd go with the WSM (or, better yet, the .300 Weatherby).

Pick ANY of them based on the rifle, and go shoot. Don't be one of these wankers that cry about the cost of WSM over the '06. Either handload, or take up tennis. My friends who bitch the most about the price of ammo always seem to shoot the least -- and miss the most.

I love the last sentence grin. I've got friends like that and they are the ones that get buck fever real bad too (that drives me FN crazy!!!!!).....Oh, sorry speaking of FN that reminds me, I'd probably go 300 wsm just because it's an fn grin whistleOh, chit, the question was for an elk rifle ok I'd go 338 win mag smirk

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA