Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Can you direct me to where that is stated by Western Powder? I want to read more about it, because I have never heard that before. Thanks.

You won't hear it from Western Powders. As a matter of fact, Western Powders called me today and informed me that 1)no, they have not witnessed any issues and further that Don Luhr did a goodly amount of shooting at General Dynamics with Blackhorn 209 before it hit the market . . . with an MK-85, and no issues.

No powder company can assume liability for obsolete firearms. As for the legacy costs associated with all the Enfield style frontloaders produced over the last 25 years, there is no logic in chasing the countless variables involved.

There are very simple steps anyone can take. 1) Wear eye protection. We all should be anyway, and fragile percussion caps, much less 209 primers, can generate debris as can blackpowder and other propellants as well. Of course there is flying debris, what would you expect from organic blackpowder that leaves 50% of itself behind as solid residue?

2) 209 primers themselves do not comport to any standards. Battery cup anvil primers vary widely in strength, so use a tougher 209 not prone to flying apart such as a Federal 209A.

3) Hammer configuration from pull-cock actions vary. Many have generously large shrouds that ensconce the primer or cap . . . a good thing. Others are flap hammers with no shroud that allow for more debris.

4) Hammer springs themselves vary in strength, many age, corrode, and suffer from low-maintenance or no maintenance. A twenty year old spring rusting way in the garage cannot be expected to be nearly as strong as a proper hammer spring in good condition.

5) You can't prove a negative, yet all there are are various unsubstantiated reports. Wear protective eyewear and pay attention.

6) There are also non-factory parts, modified parts, lightened mainsprings, and aftermarket parts that have been both introduced and discontinued over the years. If you are playing with a twenty year old, rusty muzzleloader, it only makes sense to use extra caution.

Blackhorn 209 is at its best with sealed action, current production inlines used with full strength 209 shotshell primers. No question about it. Use of Blackhorn 209 in an obsolete, pull-cock frontloader requires a little more attention to detail and a muzzleloader in proper operating condition.

It is an approved blackpowder sub by T/C, BPI, Traditions, Knight, and Savage Arms. Now, if any of these folks have inlines that are unsuitable for Blackhorn 209, they have failed to warn anyone about it.

--Randy