Originally Posted by JohnBurns
No that is a 45-70 (.454 Casull running 350gr WLN at 1600fps) that fits in a holster.

My point is that I would prefer a good 45 ACP (or 10MM) and load over that revolver if you were going to stick me in a room (or tent) with a pissed off grizzly because until the brain pan is punched the bear is going to still chew on my sorry ass and more shots per second will aid in getting that brain shot. ...

Ditto. I carried my .454 when I was HUNTING in Alaska, but I probably would have rather had my G20 with 200gr HCs for a self-defense situation. It's counterintuitive, but until someone can give me an actual real-world scenario where shots from a good handgun load in 10mm, .45 ACP, .41 RM, etc ... has actually caused a bear to become a more aggressive and effective killer, I will continue to avoid the commonly-held theory that they actually do so. Arguably, you're going to be more likely to get a good brain shot with one. But also, I still have not heard of one single actual real story where a bear shot with any handgun accelerated toward the shooter after being hit in the brain, chest, butt, or just the muzzle blast of a 10mm, .45 ACP, .41 RM, etc. If it's happened, it's happened, but I've never heard of such a real incident. I've only heard of the idea that you've got to break down a bear's CNS in one shot or you're dead, and shooting at a charging bear with anything less than a .500 JRH will get you kilt. In recent times, I've come to question that home-spun wisdom for lack of a single substantiating example, much less any significant number of examples.