Originally Posted by trader388
Going to Alaska fishing. I'm not sure where yet but it's a free tag a long type deal ...so no complaints! Anywho I was figuring I'd bring my Glock 20mm and load it up with Buffalo bore 220gr hard cast in case I ran into a bear problem.

I usually shoot 200gr bullets from this and it's my favorite handgun. I shoot it all the time and very good with it. So I figure moving to the 220s isn't a stretch.

Other posibilities - include: buddy has a S&W 460v 5" which I've shot and can do so so with it but I really need to work at it to get the bullets to go where I want them and it isn't fast. (that's shooting 395 corbons HC)

Then a 454 casull 2.5" taurus - about the same as the 460v in terms of accuracy and quickness etc.

Next option I was looking at was a 44mag ruger alaskan loaded up with some corbon 300s or 340s?

I feel the best with the G20 as I can put em where they need to go and fast. But is it enough for a nice size grizz charge?

CNS being required but not always attainable maybe better to miss a little and use the 44 over the G20? Thanks in advance

I like Glocks and the 10mm G20 for a S-A 'bear gun. But change out that barrel for a fully-supported [chamber] one!!

I had a kaboom with a G23 this past July, using factory ammo. Yeah that sorta thing gets a fellow's attention! Wish i had swapped out the stock-Glock barrel before I learned how bad a fully-un-supported barrel can be.

Bar-Sto barrels are @$200, and a good add-on in my opinion. With one of those installed that Buffalo Bore ammo shouldn't be unsafe - I would think. If/or when I get my G20 10mm, thats what I will do besides installing Ashley Express sights, is also install a Bar-Sto barrel! wink

Hope you catch lots of salmon and halibut in AK. grin