Thinking of updating my spotting scopes. I currently have an older Leupold 25x50 and a Nikon 15x45x60 something, also older. Both work well, just looking for something better. I know optics have improved since these were made and these scopes have obvious limitations.

Doing some research I have narrowed things down somewhat. Would like to stay under $1500 and would prefer something in the 62-66 mm range so as to keep it reasonable to backpack. So far, with some help from a member here, I have found a 6 year old Leica Televid 62 APO with a 20x60 eyepiece for $1300, no warranty. Have read very good reviews on a Kowa Prominar 66 HD with a 20x60 eyepiece brand new for about $1350. Of course the Leupold 12x40x60 HD is also an option, have found one new for $1059. Both the Kowa & Leupold are new and have lifetime warranties. I know there are also some others such as Nikon, Pentax, Vortex etc but so far have limited my search to those mentioned, but am open to suggestion.

So who has used what in this size and price range and what do the optics eagles here think? Anyone have a concern in regards to the Leica with no warranty?

Last edited by Gone_Huntin; 09/29/11.

NRA Patron Member.