Originally Posted by Irving_D
The only thing I called in was another hunter stalking me. I was rattling and grunting and I heard a grunt off in the distance working it's way towards me. Every so often it would stop and start raking the trees, snapping branches, and kicking up leaves. My heart about burst through my chest, just as the sound was about to come through the brush I saw a the face of the hunter. He came through the brush saw me, waved and then turned around. a$$hole had no orange on, a set of deer antlers in his hand, and was on private property. I think he had a death wish

Once I THOUGHT I heard another hunter grunting in the woods, I was on a pipeline in a stand, I ignored it for awhile, about 15-20 minutes later I made a few grunts, a nice 8 pt stepped out - and I am 99% sure what I had THOUGHT was a hunter blowing a call, was this deer I shot about 115 yds down the pipeline. He came out looking my direction. There was nobody hunting in the stand that was out in front where the deer obviously passed, as everyone had assigned stands and the one stand there was empty.

Had the same thing happen in a swamp back in college thinking I heard some hunters, and when I waded back towards 'them' I found Real DUCKS! smile They sounded worse then a good caller!

I often stay quiet awhile, and then later will use a call sparingly, just a few grunts, and silent for 20-30 minutes, then one more set. Then quiet an hour or so. Killed alot of deer when doing this......never knowingly hurt my hunting by calling, but like duck hunting, if the game is coming your way, and you know it, don't bring attention to yourself.

Another time hunting a swamp area in south LA, I ran off several deer while heading to the area I wanted to hunt, they had been feeding in a hardwood area on acorns. I got blew a doe snort/bleat 'wheeze' call a few times to try calming them into thinking I was a deer, as my sounding crunching on dry ground is what ran them off. I sat down w/in minutes and blew my deer grunt. Minutes later right at legal light, a small buck returned, I had my knees up and strained getting the eye relief on my 6x on a #1 270....dropped the deer so fast I never saw him fall during recoil - 150 BT was like a lightning bolt.

Yes, I am sold on using calls, but knowing when, and how often to call has to be thought out, not just random steady calling.

That said, if hunting pressure is steady, and esp. if you know others use calls, i.e. when after ducks, or bugling for elk, you have to be very careful not to over call.

Rattling..something I need to try more of...it seems to be pretty effective for many who do it.