I may have something to add here.
The 32 WS is, to my knowledge, the only "Special" that Winchester ever released. It is a true crossover cartridge, capable with both Black and Smokeless. In smokeless guise, it developed a reputation of having more knockdown power than the 30 WCF. In black guise, it was effective for taking most game on the hoof. In the early 20th century, black was still going strong, while smokeless was still in its infancy, and generally unavailable in any other form besides loaded ammunition. A crossover cartridge made a lot of sense, and for those who enjoy shooting black today, it still makes sense.
Out of a strong 24" barrel, the 32 WS achieves a solid 2400 fps with a 170 Speer FP, not much in todays world of ultra-mags., but quite capable inside 200 yards nonetheless. Blacl loads generated around 1500 fps, certainly respectable ballistics.
Most critics, like gunwriter Rick Hacker, think the 32 WS should be put to bed-forever. Yet this ignores one simple fact, the 32 WS is perhaps more powerful than the 30 WCF, and the 30 WCF has established itself as a very effective cartridge, so why not find room for another effective cartridge, one with history, a unique pedigree, and a joy to shoot?
My dream gun is a 64 in 32 WS, with factory sling swivels and the bolt peep. I absolutely love the bolt peep! I've never found one, but perhaps someday she'll find her way to me, and we'll hunt together in these mountains of the Southwest.