Bob I think it makes a lot of difference in the jig weight and size of hook. Many times a 1/4oz jig is the ticket early in the year or fishing a front when you want a slow fall but...the hooks that come on many smaller jigs are not very large. This leads to not alot of leverage on the hookset and some missed strikes especially when not vertically fishing. I prefer the 3/8oz jig over any other cause it gives a good balance between the 1/4oz and 1/2oz(rarely fish the 3/4oz)and you can get it with the larger hook which when moved very much at all on the hookset usually digs in to the fish's mouth somewhere. I wish someone made a jig w/ a tru-turn style hook for the reason you mentioned above.But alas no one does to my knowledge.

I also like to fish a jig on a high rod with a slack line to give me some buggy whip type action on the set. I rarely fish anything but the Eakin jig in 3/8oz by Jewell bait company and have found the green pumkin and green gourd along w/blk/blue and red natural.The jig can be dragged on rocky shorelines as well as flipped in brush,cover, and blow downs.

Still going to try and hook up w/the boy after the new year.Hope you're doing well. Still have the parts for the Mashburn...just waiting on the funds.Keep a high rod and a slack line. Ken