I'm an old guy & started bass fishing in the late 50's. We started casting our own weedless jig heads for worm fishing because there was no such thing as worm fishing hooks, sinkers, etc. We were using mono, Fiberglas rods (Harnell), Ambassador 5000 reels, & used very hard hook sets. Even back then we keep our hooks very sharp. With the evolution of worm hooks, sliding sinkers, & graphite rods it became a bit less of a requirement to cross their eyes. Using older fiberglass rods & 3/0 hooks I have driven the hook through the top of many 6-8 pound bass. With the evolution of the Super Lines less stretch is involved so hooks do not need to be set quite as hard. Other than using light spinning tackle for slip shot fishing in mid-summer I'm still old school & still set the hook hard. You have to work out the best hook set based on your tackle & method of fishing with trial & error. Many anglers never sharpen their hooks or check the hook point or knots. This is something I do constantly. I have never lost many fish & have had many years where I caught 75-106 LM bass from 4-10 pounds. I did loose the largest bass I ever hooked (13+ pounds) & actually looked at on a Zorro spinnerbait. I was fishing spawning beds & casted around a lap in about 3' of water. This big sow charged the bait & I crossed her eyes. I was using "light" 25lb. test line & set the hook very hard. She ran around the lap & I tried to stop her from circling. She was hooked deep & when the hook pulled out a big chunk of meat was attached. I checked the area for days & never saw her floating. I also have done a bit of fishing & for over 35 years averaged 100 trips/year.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?