The answer to your question has a lot of " That Depends" in it !

I shoot and reload an average of 10,000 28ga. rounds a year. I hunt with a 28ga ONLY and I am one of the few shooters that shoot competitive TRAP with the 28. And, YES I am Competitive.

There are so many variables when it comes to patterns. Shot size, wad, velocity, and of course choke. I have found that because the 28 bore tends to create a long shot string normally, that attempts to use tight chokes often causes larger, more open patterns. My field guns , with any 28ga. load all do better with improvd cylinder or light modified. For trap with 3/4 oz. loads of #8's for 16 yard singles I use light modified. My handi-cap
yardage is the 27 yard line (max distance) I use 3/4 oz. 7 1/2's
with a Modfied choke. Many of the hits, especially from the 27 yard line are well beyond 40 yards. Keeping velocity at or below 1,200 FPS really keeps patterns tight. Heavy loads like 7/8 and 1 oz. field loads must be kept at moderate velocities and open chokes. I hunt with 3/4 oz. # 6's at 1175 FPS. I have never had any trouble taking wild Kansas pheasants at 40 yards +. I've had good luck with Winchester Super-X one oz. loads of #6's. They actually do not have any wad! The shot is wrapped in cellophane only. They patterd great at 40 yards. If you hand load, some wads tend to "Tighten up the pattern" so a more open choke is called for.
As far as "Effective range" goes. Remember that a # 6 BB traveling at 1200 FPS has the same effective range no matter what the gauge of the gun or choke it comes out of.

The key to useable patterns with any shot gun, and especially the 28 bore is low velocieties and less choke. A trip to the
patterening board really pays off.

Good luck

Rabbitdog

Last edited by Rabbitdog; 11/01/11.

Shriners Helping Kids