[quote=Hammer1].

Given its lower 3/4 ounce standard payload, does a 28 gauge need a tighter choke than the bigger gauges in order to have a dense enough core pattern to match the bigger payload shells ?

That is, in order to have the same number (not percent) of pellets in the inner 20-inch core of the pattern, does the 28 gauge need, for example, a full choke when a 12 gauge might use an improved-cylinder to get the same number of pellets in the pattern core ?
[/quote/]

The way I look at it, from the end of whatever-choke, the BBs are on diverging paths; therefore, with the relatively light 28 ga Payload, you lessen your effective (defined as the # of hits in a 20" circle) range compared to a 12 ga significantly, while at the same time same-size shot flies just as far no matter the gauge. I know I didn't address your choke question--I just don't like F choke in small gauges as both my 20 and 28 SxSs are IC/M. I just tend to go to smaller shot in smaller gauges as your number increases and I think in my experience they pattern better. I don't go bigger than 5-6s in the 20 or 71/2-6s in the 28.