I've hunted with 45-70's for a lot of years. I've had a Shiloh Sharps in 45-70, a Mod. 1895, and an original Mod 1881. I love the 45-70 caliber. I got my Marlin Guide gun last year and this is the 2nd year of hunting with it. I mounted a 1.5 to 4 power Leupold with heavy Duplex and it fits the gun perfectly. I like the short maneuverability of the GG, it is just the ticket for the brushy cover that I hunt here in Michigan.

I have tried just about every factory load out of it and the one it likes best is the Rem. .405 Gov., it shoots very accurately with this bullet. To prove my point, the other day after deer hunting all morning I headed out for lunch. I had to pass through some hardwoods and spotted a big Fox squirrel in an oak tree. Fried squirrel is my favorite small game dish and I wished that I had my .22 with me. Then I thought if I could get a head shot with the 45-70 I would have my supper. Mr bushy tail was sitting tight watching me from his high perch. I moved to a point where I had the tree as a backstop. I got a solid rest against a tree and here's the results.

Could the 45-70 be a good all around gun?... grin

[Linked Image]

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"