Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Many people have owned several 22s throughout their lifetimes. Shooters go through phases and buy according to how they feel. Try to save a few and don't sell them off. Pass one on to your kids, grandkids or anyone in need.

Interesting point. I have bought & sold several centerfire rifles and handguns - but I still own every rimfire I've ever bought.

That's why you see so many on the used rack at gun shops.

To the OP - dollar for dollar - it's hard to beat the current Savage bolt-actions. If you're a little handy and can do the trigger mods, the CZ 452 would be my first recommendation. If not, you could spend about $100 more and get the 453, which comes with a much better trigger.

I have a CZ452 with an improved trigger. It's a range rifle and has a high powered scope on it for 25 and 50 yd shoots. It was unusual at first, but having a high powered scope on a 22 and then shooting it at short ranges was satisfying. You can shoot some tight little groups once you've found the right brand of ammunition.

I prefer a good scope on my rimfire rifles. Why limit a good thing?

Depending on the shooter, scopes can be a limiting factor. Some people have a hard time acquiring a target in their scope when hunting. This is especially true if the game is moving. For many of us, iron sights are faster, especially at 22RF ranges. Obviously, this is a personal thing.

For short ranges, I have found red dots to be the absolute quickest for target acquisition and shooting on the move. You keep both eyes open and the red dot is not subject to parallax. In fact, I used a red dot on a 30-30 and a 45-70 lever gun for a while. Shooting with both eyes open aids your ability to follow game when the background is dark.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]