The rest of the story. My first pointing dog (formerly a Beagler) was adverised as a GWP. When I got there the dog was black, solid black. The second owner of this three month old female (35 lbs?) said, "oh one of the parents was a GWP and we think the other was a Lab". So for any of you who have been a victim of puppy love...Just a great dog. Full of odd quirks. She would collect all the sox in the house, every evening and put them in a pile, in a bedroom. Same routine with the shoes but they were placed in the bathroom. Once satisfied she would fall asleep under my (her) chair. Her other dog was as Shop Dog in the Flyfishing Proshop we had back in Michigan. A pointing, retrieving, nice little dog finished out at 25" and about 47 lbs.'Changed her name to Mona because she would talk a pretty good conversation and answered every fire truck and police siren especially the ones too far away for human ears.

That dog and a really neat pheasant club membership got me into pheasants in a big way. fast forward 25 years and four GWPs and several cross country moves later I am still looking for another Mona.

I can exercise and work dogs where I live now but waterfowl are the only game in town excep a week (or four) in Kansas each fall.

I suppose I had a pointing lab of sorts or a Labrapointer. Any other GWP/ crosses (misfits) out there?

The answer is of course to buy a trained dog from a best breeder so the qualities of the hunting side of the dog's life can be sampled befor the committment begins.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!