Originally Posted by Plinker
Originally Posted by Eremicus
.45 ACP and the milder 180 gr. 10mm loads had the ability to penetrate car doors or windshield glass and still do significant damage. Something no 9mm load has ever done. E

My oldest son has a Springfield 1911 in 45 ACP. He and I did a test using his gun with 230gr FMJ ball ammo and my 9mm with the 115gr WW FMJ in the OP. We shot some old locker doors at 15 feet. The locker doors were two layers of 16 gauge steel, separated by a 5/8" air gap. The 45 ACP deeply dented the first layer of steel but did not penetrate. The 9mm penetrated both layers of steel. So, in my field test, the 9mm penetrates just fine. I would not recommend a car door to stop any 9mm bullet.

Nor will a car door stop a 45 ACP. The window roll up steel will stop many rounds including some 357 mag's

I know, because I have shot many ronds into car and truck doors

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The higher the velocity the more steel that can be penetrated. The 9mm expanding bullets fall behind the better 45 bullets in my experience
The XPBbullets in the 45 at 1100 FPS penetrate car doors extremely well

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first