Ok, I used it a bunch today. I set up to shoot at 800 yards. I used the BR2 to measure this distance. The Leica told me it was 797. I then looked to a ballistic solution. The BR2 told me I needed 11.7 MOA and my Shooter program told me 13.4 (I think). I had two targets up so I shot one with each. The 11.7 MOA was not nearly enough. The 13.4 was just a little high.

I finally decided to double check all my inputs and found that I had put in the velocity of the 130 grain load but the BC of the new 140 Hybrid. When I corrected the velocity, they both matched to the decimal !

They were the same at least to 1200 yards so I am convinced it has as good an algorithm as any.

I have not tried the Vectronix. When someone sends me one, I will do so and report. I do not know anyone who has one nor have I seen and handled one that is under $20,000. The one I played with was very heavy. I played with them at the SHOT a couple of times.

The BR2 is bulky but light.

When the unit is set up to provide a ballistic solution, you only get to see the range momentarily. I have no idea if what I am seeing is the horizontal distance or true line of sight distance. The instruction book is as thick as my bible so I only read it once grin

It ranges further than anything I have ever used or tested (can't count units I have played with indoors at shows) and it provides instant ballistic solutions, ostensibly, out to 1400 yards. That is pretty impressive.

The down side is that it is quite bulky and would probably have to be carried in a pack. It doesn't feel very robust but I didn't break it so who knows?? It has a great focus and great eye relief. I don't see the need for the tripod mount, I have no problem steadying it and getting readings as far as 2100+ yards. I just used shooting sticks most of the time. I used fence posts, windows, edge of truck door, tree branch etc. I was able to range my target at 800 today just using it off-hand but it took a few tries. I could not do it with the Leica- too small. I had to use the fence post for it!

I have to admit, it does what it says it can and apparently, does it well.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.