I actually have mixed feelings about the MP pension plan.

Most of the MP's I have known, (maybe a dozen) all took huge paycuts when they ran for office, the pay of an MP is $157m, most lawyers and successful business people who run and are often very effective MP's give huge chunks of their major earning years.

Many have to effectively start over when they leave office.

I think the severance is generous, but not ridiculous, the pension is the same.

The program is designed to help recruit the best and brightest to public office, it doesn't always work out the way but often it does. Many if not most of our effective MP's would have been far better off financially if they didn't take the risk and have all the stress of 80 hour work weeks to run for office. Any plumber who works the same number of hours as the average MP would actually make more money. The two I now the best were partners in very successful law firms, they had to sell their partnerships back, when they left office they had to start over in their law practice and they made far less money as MP's.

Clearly this doesn't apply to the waitress from Kingston who was elected in Quebec, but our MP's work ridiculous hours, perform a vital public service and should be compensated accordingly.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.