Got a question for those more experienced than me...

Does anyone think that low pressure cartridges are more "enjoyable" to shoot than high pressure cartridges?

I've recently started shooting the 7.62x39 and for some reason it just seems like a pleasure to shoot in a short barrel (16" or 18")compared to a .223/5.56 in similar barrel lengths. I found the 35 Rem to also be very nice to shoot. The 7.62x39 and 35 Rem are both under ~42k psi so I was wondering if there's something to this or if maybe I'm just crazy crazy!?!?

I know that muzzle blast affects me more than actual recoil. Do the higher pressure cartridges have more perceived muzzle blast? I would think so. I know that one would need to compare various cartridges in similar rifles so its possible that I'm mixing apples and oranges (different actions, different rifle weights, etc.) but for some reason it seems that I like shooting low pressure cartridges even if the recoil is high like a 12 gauge with slugs or turkey loads.

I don't think its stictly a recoil thing either. I had a .243 that I didn't care for, but the recoil was low. Maybe its the recoil velocity, muzzle blast, and stock fit?

Last edited by 4th_point; 01/29/12.