Upstate South Carolina--Won't say it's the Best, but pretty good. Sounds like you're at a serious decision, so I've put some effort accordingly. Forgive me the length, but hopefully worth your while.

Fishing: Reservoirs like Hartwell(BassMasters Classic 2008), Keowee, Jocassee, Russell, ClarkHill all w/in 70 miles. Lake Murray/capital Columbia/USC 2 hrs. away. Chattooga River(Deliverance Fame) Trout and Whitewater < 1hr.
Lot's of Waterfalls around! National caliber HotAir Balloon Festival. 'Fresh Peach Capital of THE WHOLE WORLD!' Sweet Ice Tea and BBQ, fried liver, tater salad, shrimp boils and cornbread.
Hunting: long seasons--WT Deer(starts August! in the LowCountry, hunt 'em in velvet if'n u want), Turkey, Bear, Hawgs;
Wild Bird Hunting(ie. Quail) is pretty much gone now, no grouse, plenty of 'yotes tho' : Excellent Dove/Duck Shooting Sept-Dec. State Dog is the Boykin Spaniel.

3 hrs. from Charleston/HiltonHead/FrippIsland. 5hrs.MyrtleBeach/GrandStrand Golf, and Blue water Fishing.
Affordable property/taxes(state income tax, sales tax 6%). Excellent healthcare delivery w/ university teaching hospitals; solid schooling;
Clemson U whistle Furman University, Wofford College

Snow/skiing 2hrs. away in NC(highest lift-serviced skiing east of the Rockies, 6k ft.)
Diverse economic base-- NA HQ's for Michelin, huge BMW plant, banking, tech, education, healthcare; semi-pro sports come n' go.

Theatre, Music, Museums, Art&Science, multi-cultural restaurants Greenville(300k pop.) is the center, if you want a larger cultured city; med. size look to Spartanburg/Gaffney/Anderson/Clemson; smaller towns Greer/Easley/Pickens/Seneca and TravelersRest in the FootHills; Beaufort on the Coast is a great town!
Asheville NC and Charlotte NC(Pro sports) 90 miles north, HotLanta GA 2 hrs. south. Brevard NC is a great small town, too.

Mild winters, occ. light snows, hot/humid long summers, but 4 distinct seasons, hardwoods/laurels/poplars. Plenty of water everywhere(see below). Excellent interstate highway system..I85 n>s, I26 e>w making for major drug traffic but mostly passing thru; I feel safe here, insured by glockusa and S&W.

SC tol' the Federal Gov't to GTFO in 1861, attitude ain't much changed. No open carry, concealed 'shall issue' state, instant background check/cash & transfer FFL's w/out waiting periods,;

Politicians here are Still Interested in $$$, p**sy and their good ol' boys--eg. Strom, Jenrette, Ravenel, J.Edwards, J. Jackson, Sanford, Haley-- "The Dominant Political Party of SC is the 'TOGA PARTY'!"--- must be in all that water laugh

Brought up here, moved North and West, came back-- I like a simple life..with options---we'll stand our ground while welcoming your friends grin Ain't Nothin' like Southern Hospitality, gladly given and properly received. Which reminds me--- Tennessee is a mighty fine state offering much the same, too! smile
Hope this is worth a look. PM if I can help. BTW--I'm Not in the SC Tourism industry, just a privileged Palmetto Stater.
Ya'll come on down, ya heah!