Home
Include Alaska and Hawaii in the equation.

Figure in taxes, cost of living, affordable housing, quality of hunting & fishing, gun laws, political climate, healthcare, etc.
Soldotna, AK
Wyoming.
Montana
Alaska
Right here on the Olympic Peninsula, but if I had to move it would be somewhere in the Idaho Panhandle.
Flint, Michigan so I could kick Moore's ass.
Montana grin
Montana or AK would be GREAT. BUT family, friends and my job are right here in 'bama. Plus it would suck not getting to see at least one UA football game in person each year!
Originally Posted by ingwe
Montana San Fransisco with Tom264 grin

shocked

Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
Include Alaska and Hawaii in the equation.

Figure in taxes, cost of living, affordable housing, quality of hunting & fishing, gun laws, political climate, healthcare, etc.

I'm not going to say, because it would soon stop being everything you required.
Lewiston, ID
Home, right where I live.
Originally Posted by Scott F
Home, right where I live.

Same here, Texas Hill Country and far north Idaho.
there are a lot of great places in this country... a big selling feature, is the least amount of government that I would have to deal with...the less the better...
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Lewiston, ID

I was in Lewiston last fall. It's down in a hole. However, it may have other qualities that I overlooked.
im where i wanna be living.....
I was thinkin about saying up there in your neighborhood..but there arent enough trout creeks....
I've lived a lot of places in the U.S. Right now, if had a choice, I'd look at the S.E. coastal area-Chas., S.C., down to about St. Augustine, Fla. Or, N. Az., N.M., the high desert.
These are the two areas I really love.

But then, there's always Croatia. The Dalmatian Coast area.
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
Lewiston, ID

I was in Lewiston last fall. It's down in a hole. However, it may have other qualities that I overlooked.
It doesn't... nobody needs to go there! wink
pretty big rainbows below the dam......the Missouri aint exactly a creek this far down stream though grin

lake trout and salmon in the lake
[Linked Image]

snot rockets in the back bays on flyrod would keep yah plenty entertained if yah wanna be all high and mighty and insist on fly fishing whistle
[Linked Image]
You suck....
Originally Posted by boatme99
I've lived a lot of places in the U.S. Right now, if had a choice, I'd look at the S.E. coastal area-Chas., S.C.,

I was just south of Charleston SC in the 'low country' this fall and was VERY impressed with it....

No mountains, sage or mule deer...so I couldnt handle it...but its a cool place with LOTS of woods and swamps and crawly things.... grin
You suck....

dont forget the monster bass
[Linked Image]
I caught one that big once...honest... grin
Using yer worm again weren't ya? grin Remember when ya want bigger, ya gotta use bigger bait ingwe.
Glad no-one has mentioned South Dakota. ;-{>8
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Using yer worm again weren't ya? grin Remember when ya want bigger, ya gotta use bigger bait ingwe.

Dat was mean...
I've lived a lot of places in the U.S. Right now, if had a choice, I'd look at the S.E. coastal area-Chas., S.C., down to about St. Augustine, Fla. Or, N. Az., N.M., the high desert.
These are the two areas I really love.

But then, there's always Croatia. The Dalmatian Coast area.

I was stunned at how beautiful it is there. Loved Dubrovnik!
I'm here, surrounded by the best fishing in the world....opinions may vary. Wish are deer were bigger, but we do have a lot of them....
I've lived a lot of places in the U.S. Right now, if had a choice, I'd look at the S.E. coastal area-Chas., S.C.,

I was just south of Charleston SC in the 'low country' this fall and was VERY impressed with it....

No mountains, sage or mule deer...so I couldnt handle it...but its a cool place with LOTS of woods and swamps and crawly things.... grin

I lived in Charleston for 3 years back in the early 1970s and fell in love with the place. I could be up in the mountains in two to three hours (I was a big time backpacker), it's on the water, some of the best restraunts anywhere in the U.S. I've also spent a lot of time there while running boats up and down the coast for 15 years. The summers are brutal, but I think it's worth it.
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Glad no-one has mentioned South Dakota. ;-{>8

shhhhhhhhhh!
I'd go stark raving nutz in a city the size of charleston, but just down the road in Colleton Co....... whistle
Rural area near Traverse City, Michigan. It doesn't get any better IMHO. Spring/Summer/Fall. Gulf Shores, Alabama in the winter.
We're living where we want to be right now. Though we are tossing around the idea of retiring to where the winter is shorter.(or at least traveling extensively, to help break up winter) But that's years down the road. My main gripe with AK is that motorcycle riding season is far too short. It's a fair trade though, when I think of the people I've met here, the things that I get to see and do, and the incredible amount of wide open space.

Jeff
Oklahoma is it!
Like it where I am....can travel anywhere wink
Somewhere with no traffic lights, more animals than people and where "heavy traffic" means more than one car an hour on the road.
Originally Posted by maarty
Somewhere with no traffic lights, more animals than people and where "heavy traffic" means more than one car an hour on the road.

That is NOT here! whistle
I am very happy. In Central Texas, but would not mind spending the summers in Wyoming.

Centex.Bill
Next door to eh....wife won't let me....dammit
If I was going to move to the US it would be to Wyoming but I'm staying here in Alberta though I plan to move to the Crowsnest Pass, kind of like the town of Coleman in the west part of the Pass.
some f_ing where when it gets to -25 it hasn't warmed up 25 freakin degrees!
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by maarty

That is NOT here! whistle

Quiet or I'll come and occupy your basement, or your gun room....
Yeah the gun room.
Between , SW florida (Punta Gorda Isles) Colorado (Breckenridge), Rural Virginia, Deadwood SD, or my hometown of Erie, Pa...

I hope all have a fine evening and great rest of the week. Be safe
Patty
Sportdog is right. Traverse City Mi. is very nice! Nonetheless I would find myself in N.E. Tennessee, S.W. Virginia or most likely N.W. North Carolina. I love those Blue Ridge Mountains!
Montana. That's where I wanna live. Yellowstone and Tetons to thre south, Glacier to the north, Big Timber and Belgrade for Sharps Rifles and goodies, the Bob, all the fur trade history, the places to camp, the rivers to fish in, deer and elk to hunt, bears to watch, rivers that move.

Yeah. Montana, I think.
Many here scoff at the notion, but I've had a pretty damn good life here in Northern California (see album).
The hunting and fishing has been very good, I live in a very peaceful setting with abundant wildlife and few neighbors.
My grandfather left Colorado in the thirties looking for work.
I often wonder what if.
Ever since my first deer hunting trip there I've daydreamed of owning a piece of property in the heart of big mule deer country.
If we are dreaming, I suppose that's mine.
Ridgeway Colorado might do me just fine

[Linked Image]
Right here in God's Country; northern Idaho panhandle...moved here *from* Alaska...we know the best when we see/live it.
Everything nearby, including world class salmon and steelhead.

We kill elk and deer every year right on our place.

crossfireoops has me sold pretty much on Sierra Vista. I think I would fit right in there with the social events and politics of the area. His pictures of the place have me drooling at the lips.
Originally Posted by DELGUE
Montana. That's where I wanna live. Yellowstone and Tetons to thre south, Glacier to the north, Big Timber and Belgrade for Sharps Rifles and goodies, the Bob, all the fur trade history, the places to camp, the rivers to fish in, deer and elk to hunt, bears to watch, rivers that move.

Yeah. Montana, I think.

And Butte for St. Patrick's Day!

Sycamore
I have lived in many places within the US. In no order...

Northest part of the lower mitten in Michigan
SW Virginia
Montana, near the mountains
Northern CA
Florida, gulf side

North California on a piece of property loaded with pigs, deer, and bears.

Wyoming

Oregon with plenty of land that has elk and mulies.

There is no place on Earth I'd rather be. I've seen what's out there, and it's all pretty much the same.

All I've ever wanted was a place with green pastures, healthy horses, quiet foaling barns, cereal scented hay, warm sun and a bench to sit on as it passed overhead, and a barn full of champion purebreds waiting to perform. A place where there are simple chores to do, and the delight of doing them well. A place where there are no tragedies or emergencies, and the noisiest thing is children's laughter. It's a place where everyone works together, easing each others burden and finding joy in fellowship. I've already been there, it was long ago, before age made me skeptical. Maybe there is another place ahead where I'll find it again, maybe behind the wardrobe, maybe through a looking glass, but I doubt it will be on this world. I wonder what awaits in that promise that was spoken softly to me in a dream. It seemed so real.
Spokane, WA. You can get to most of the good places from there nad still be near a VA hospital.

I am in awe of Salmonella. I've scraped and sweated for years and have only successfully hunted squirrels.
Delta Junction Alaska until late fall and then somewhat south of there in the winter.
central texas or north central missouri
I already have a little house there, all paid for.

Libby Montana was/is my choice. It is inland far enough to be somewhat remote, but it is still striking distance to the NW coastal waters.

With this economy and the hit I took I might not get there. whistle
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Many here scoff at the notion, but I've had a pretty damn good life here in Northern California (see album).
The hunting and fishing has been very good, I live in a very peaceful setting with abundant wildlife and few neighbors.
My grandfather left Colorado in the thirties looking for work.
I often wonder what if.
Ever since my first deer hunting trip there I've daydreamed of owning a piece of property in the heart of big mule deer country.
If we are dreaming, I suppose that's mine.
Ridgeway Colorado might do me just fine

[Linked Image]

that picture literally is breathe taking!
I've lived in Wyoming and currently live in Montana. I do like Montana and I really liked Wyoming (it will always be home) but it seems like not a day goes buy where I don't here of a Meth problem, both in Wyoming or Montana. It is like the western states have become a giant meth lab. Maybe I just am always on my toes and watch for users and read the paper too much but it is really a problem.
Upstate South Carolina--Won't say it's the Best, but pretty good. Sounds like you're at a serious decision, so I've put some effort accordingly. Forgive me the length, but hopefully worth your while.

Fishing: Reservoirs like Hartwell(BassMasters Classic 2008), Keowee, Jocassee, Russell, ClarkHill all w/in 70 miles. Lake Murray/capital Columbia/USC 2 hrs. away. Chattooga River(Deliverance Fame) Trout and Whitewater < 1hr.
Lot's of Waterfalls around! National caliber HotAir Balloon Festival. 'Fresh Peach Capital of THE WHOLE WORLD!' Sweet Ice Tea and BBQ, fried liver, tater salad, shrimp boils and cornbread.
Hunting: long seasons--WT Deer(starts August! in the LowCountry, hunt 'em in velvet if'n u want), Turkey, Bear, Hawgs;
Wild Bird Hunting(ie. Quail) is pretty much gone now, no grouse, plenty of 'yotes tho' : Excellent Dove/Duck Shooting Sept-Dec. State Dog is the Boykin Spaniel.

3 hrs. from Charleston/HiltonHead/FrippIsland. 5hrs.MyrtleBeach/GrandStrand Golf, and Blue water Fishing.
Affordable property/taxes(state income tax, sales tax 6%). Excellent healthcare delivery w/ university teaching hospitals; solid schooling;
Clemson U whistle Furman University, Wofford College

Snow/skiing 2hrs. away in NC(highest lift-serviced skiing east of the Rockies, 6k ft.)
Diverse economic base-- NA HQ's for Michelin, huge BMW plant, banking, tech, education, healthcare; semi-pro sports come n' go.

Theatre, Music, Museums, Art&Science, multi-cultural restaurants Greenville(300k pop.) is the center, if you want a larger cultured city; med. size look to Spartanburg/Gaffney/Anderson/Clemson; smaller towns Greer/Easley/Pickens/Seneca and TravelersRest in the FootHills; Beaufort on the Coast is a great town!
Asheville NC and Charlotte NC(Pro sports) 90 miles north, HotLanta GA 2 hrs. south. Brevard NC is a great small town, too.

Mild winters, occ. light snows, hot/humid long summers, but 4 distinct seasons, hardwoods/laurels/poplars. Plenty of water everywhere(see below). Excellent interstate highway system..I85 n>s, I26 e>w making for major drug traffic but mostly passing thru; I feel safe here, insured by glockusa and S&W.

SC tol' the Federal Gov't to GTFO in 1861, attitude ain't much changed. No open carry, concealed 'shall issue' state, instant background check/cash & transfer FFL's w/out waiting periods,;

Politicians here are Still Interested in $$$, p**sy and their good ol' boys--eg. Strom, Jenrette, Ravenel, J.Edwards, J. Jackson, Sanford, Haley-- "The Dominant Political Party of SC is the 'TOGA PARTY'!"--- must be in all that water laugh

Brought up here, moved North and West, came back-- I like a simple life..with options---we'll stand our ground while welcoming your friends grin Ain't Nothin' like Southern Hospitality, gladly given and properly received. Which reminds me--- Tennessee is a mighty fine state offering much the same, too! smile
Hope this is worth a look. PM if I can help. BTW--I'm Not in the SC Tourism industry, just a privileged Palmetto Stater.
Ya'll come on down, ya heah!
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
I've lived in Wyoming and currently live in Montana. I do like Montana and I really liked Wyoming (it will always be home) but it seems like not a day goes buy where I don't here of a Meth problem, both in Wyoming or Montana. It is like the western states have become a giant meth lab. Maybe I just am always on my toes and watch for users and read the paper too much but it is really a problem.

from what ive seen its pretty much a nation wide problem cause you can now make it in a pop bottle.....no risks of transporting half way across the country or the like so its cheap and the end user can make their own....looking at stats, dont know if there is anywhere nation wide you can truly escape meth....
I'd have to look into it more, but my first thought is N.W. Arkansas or S.W. Mo. Seems alot like here with less snow.
Charleston, SC
Pocatello, Idaho near my Brother and Sister who have lived there
most of there lives,Any where to get the HELL out of Alabama!
AMRA
NW Florida -hunting seasons measured in months not weeks.
70* here today.
I lived in Boise for a couple of years and have hunted in Wy and NM desert and mountainous desert ain't for me -too dry.
They forecast rain and if it rains hard enough to wet the road for a few minutes they act like it poured down.Dry -dusty and windy.Although the ppl there were very nice to me and took me in -invited me over for holidays -can't say enough about their hospitality.

Texas would also be nice.
Only thing missing here in Fl. is there are no good looking women.
A small city like Flagstaff, Durango or Laramie between elevations 6k - 8k.
Jocko_Slugshot: Dillon, Montana!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
It's a problam I've always had...I don't want to LIVE anywhere. I just need a place to keep my family and stuff.
Eagle River Alaska in the spring/summer/fall and Lahaina Maui in the winter.
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les

Yep! Only he was in Chicago and he was trolling for "BLACK MOUTH!"
I would live Right herra where I sit.
I have been sworn to secrecy by those campfire members that already reside in that neck of the woods....

Trust me though, it's heavenly!
Originally Posted by AMRA
Pocatello, Idaho near my Brother and Sister who have lived there
most of there lives,Any where to get the HELL out of Alabama!
AMRA

9 years, 9 months and we will. Considering Cheyenne, Wy, Ogden, UT and been researching Pocatello, ID. Plenty of time to work it out.
Southwest Montana
Somewhere back in North Idaho where we used to be. Lewiston or Kendrick would work out well.
North Idaho Sucks, Because Montana Blows.

N. Idaho and Montana are HORRIBLE places to live. Don't think about even moving there. HIGH TAXES, Overcrowding in Schools, Traffic like there is NO tomorrow. Winters with HUGE amounts of Snow. The list goes on and on.

Stay the hell out of our states. You can visit but make sure you go home.

About a hundred miles southwest of where I sit. Oklahoma has better state politics in a lot of ways, than Kansas. Slightly better weather.
If I could live anywhere in the world, I'd live exactly where I live right now, but I'd add a larger garage. Just doesn't get better than southwest AK...
Panhandle of Florida. Low cost of living, great hunting & fishing, excellent climate, & friendly people.
New Mexico.
© 24hourcampfire