Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Casey,

Laughin'!

But a few years ago I decided to test the old handloading pressure signs, including case-head expansion, and worked up loads for three rifles. One was a .270, and I worked up to 58.5 grains of Reloder 19 with a 130-grain bullet (can't remember exactly which bullet now), no problem. Took them to the Western Powders lab and they averaged 68,000+ psi.

Yowsers.....

Not to hijack Dober, but here's a question; one of the most popular handloads in post-war reloading-dom is the 270W with 58gr of H4831 under a 150gr bullet. I've chrono'ed at least a thousand rounds over the past 30 years, ran 50-60 rounds through an Oheler Ballistics Lab and stayed under pressure for those rifles.

Yet, today's (peizo tested?) load manuals are now limiting H4831 to the 56gr range. I'm sticking with 58gr of H4831 for my loads--am I gonna blow my head off?

Casey

Kinda why I asked JB what his parametr for a 270 are..........I am very interested to see where he may have been in the past vs now.

Casey, I am where you are with it; my velocities for the 130's are typically around 3075-3100 & with the 150's around 2950, both with Partitions from a 22" barrel.

Sorry to HJ Dober's thread.

MM