Originally Posted by Waders
As a pure business decision, I don't think Kimber should chamber for the Whelen. The demand just isn't there. Everybody loves the Whelen until they are presented with the opportunity to buy one. I remember seeing NIB Rem 700 CDLs in .35 Whelen going for $450 on Gunbroker about a year after Remington starting making them again.

There are few factory ammo options for those that don't reload. And most reloaders/enthusiasts agree that modern bullets have increased the effectiveness of other, smaller cartridges, making the Whelen a less than ideal solution for many hunting applications. People with limited funds have the Whelen too far down on their list of "My Next Rifle."

That said...I own a Whelen and love it! Just for kicks and giggles, I'll post a pic of it. It's a Rem 700 CDL and now sits in a factory synthetic stock that I painted:
[Linked Image]

No offense intended but IMHO people who want a 35 Whelen don't generally want a Remington M700, Whelen fans are more nostolgic and want Mausers, Springfields, M70's etc., not M700s and the Kimber fits this bill to a tee. They want blued steel and walnut stocks, not stainless and plastic.

Kimber is making a M84L in the 280AI, I would be surprised if they don't sell more Whelens than 280AI's. I know I haven't been interested in a new bolt gun for years as they are all pretty boring but I will be getting one of these M84L'
s in 35 Whelen.