WhelenAway, the price is Canadian retail and we always pay more for US-made guns than you do in the States.

I am just trying to make the point here that, from what I have seen with a few dozen Kimbers, I am not confident in buying one for MY uses. I have no desire to influence anyone else as to what they should/should not purchase.

dj, at this time, I would choose a FN-made Model 70 over anything commonly available new in BC's gunstores. I am not trying to compare the classic rifles you refer to or the costly, but, basically sound Dakotas with the Kimbers, merely commenting on what I feel about buying a .35 Whelen-a rifle that one might choose for hunting in Grizzly country more than, for instance, a 7-08, given the issues so many seem to have with them.

I dunno, it all really comes down to what the individual feels comfortable with and considers a good value and appropriate for his hunting. To me, the weight issue is important, but, I would prefer a .35 Whelen in a Mod. 70 Fwt. at 7.5 lbs. all up in a synthetic handle over a Montana in the same chambering, just my level of comfort.

That said, I am a hardcore Mod 70 guy and I have always found them a reliable and worthwhile rifle, so, I am a "bit" biased.....