I got a really good deal on a Remington 700 custom 458 win mag rifle after the previous owner decided almost instantly after firing a few times off the bench rest that it was just a great deal more dangerous to his shoulder, to own the rifle than it would be to his checking account balance if he sold it at a significant price reduction.
now Im not a huge fan of being beat senseless either so I added a really thick quality recoil pad, I use a good sling and I use a vest with a sewn in shoulder pad, but the rifle usually gets loaded with less than max loads.
the reduced loads make the rifle far more useful in my opinion, because we seem to have very few really dangerous game requiring 500 grain solids in the areas Ive hunted
its seen far more 400 grain hard cast gas check bullets over a load of 60 grains of IMR 3031 that produces about 1900fps in my rifle.
its accounted for several deer and hogs with zero problems and its darn accurate, groups of near an inch at 100 yards are common off the bench, I size mine at .459 cast from 5% tin and 95% wheel weights and cast hot enough to look slightly frosted
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0004482053

Last edited by 340mag; 02/10/12.