I don't have a picture of the first 3 or 4 deer I killed and only a few between then and mid 2000s when I received a digital camera as a gift. My Dad never took pictures and we never kept racks either.

My first buck I killed hunting with my buddy, though we separated out of the jeep hunting different drainages. I followed tracks around a mountain top into a bowl, the buck came running out from a cut under me and along the far ridge. At about 200 yds, as he turned to go over the ridge, I was following him in the 4X redfield, he was broadside before he was going over and I shot with my savage 99 in 308. He disappeared over the ridge at the same time. I was calm at the shot but knew I must have missed and was disappointed, I ran down and back up to the far ridge hoping to see the buck in the distance and about tripped over him... his momentum took him just over the ridge from where I shot him... it was a sliding DRT.

My buddy and I were so excited, it was a first deer for either of us. He was a big bodied 3X4 muley and we took hours dragging it out whole/gutted, we wanted to hang it in camp before our Dads came in to show off.

Kent