Originally Posted by TannerGun
Originally Posted by US_Patriot
Originally Posted by BobinNH
#4 SS fluted 8.5 twist Barltein 6mm barrel. Chambering will be 6XC.

This is going to be a walking varmint/range rifle,shooting mostly the Amax/Berger type bullets,105-107 range. I will drop it into a sporter weight stock

Now that you have to buy an action; Find a doner rifle and part it out.

New Haven M70 Classic
Tubb firing pin
Tubb firing pin spring
Tubb cocking piece
Jewell trigger
McMillan Stock

Have your smith sugar up an action and screw on your barrel. With all your M70 experience it will be a natural fit to hunt with the 6XC in a M70 platform. All the Tubb parts are available at SSS the home of the 6XC.

Many nice custom actions out there but a good custom Winchester still gets a lot of respect from others at the range and can shoot with the best. Also that big Nightforce will be sweet on top of a Winchester Express, Sako Varmint, or Hunter stock...
Liking this idea. Bruce Artus and Kreg Slack a couple yeas back were shooting out to 3000 yards with a .308 A.I. and 264 Win Mag, based off M70s. Artus said they'd pretty much hold a flame to most custom actions...

Yes that is what they claimed, you try and shoot a bullet and hit something after it has been sub-sonic for over a mile...............it does not happen. I have tried it!!