Originally Posted by Waders
Fellas,

I could use some help:

I recently bought some Rainier Plated HPs and loaded them up. I have tried two different COL's (1.215" and 1.200") and have gotten the same problem: The first round out of the magazine won't feed. It goes forward until it jams against the top of the feed ramp at the base of the chamber.

Everything else has fed just slick--factory ammo of all kinds, Berry's plated, cast lead flat points, cast lead round nose, and SWC. Bullet weights from 185 gr to 230 gr all feed fine. The only problem I've had is with the Rainier 230gr Hex HP as stated above.

I've tried with several proven magazines. The mags and the gun are clean. My other pet load (230gr cast lead TCBB from Penn at 1.215") still feed/function fine.

I made a couple dummy rounds just to see if a different OAL would make a difference. Longer rounds didn't change anything. Shortening up to 1.185" to 1.190" made things a lot better. They go into battery, but not by a lot.

So...a couple questions:

1. Can I take loaded ammo and seat the bullet deeper and then re-crimp or am I going to blow myself up?

2. Any other ideas regarding this bullet to feed?

Thanks all!

Use another bullet.