Here is a good one. In Wisconsin a portion of the state is shotgun muzzleloader or pistol. I have the misfortune of hunting in such a area. It is legal to hunt with a 44 magnum pistol. Couple years ago they tried to pass a law allowing pistol caliber rifles in the zone. I was hoping it would pass as I have more than a sane amount of 44 mag rifles. Also It would be nice to shoot cheap reloads apposed to three to five dollar a pop slugs and be able to afford to put a hundred rounds or so through the gun I am going to hunt with. Anyways the DNR opposed the law. It would be too difficult to train all the wardens how to identify pistol caliber rifles. I guess being able to read is not a requirement for a wisconsin game warden. Well law was not passed. So back to my savage 12 gauge. My dad hunts with a savage muzzleloader and remington xp 100 chambered in 350 remington mag.

Yep the 350 is legal as is any 22caliber or larger center fire in a pistol. Now here is my favorite part of the law. You can hunt small game except birds with ANY handgun legal for deer hunting.

So I can go launch a 200 grain bullet at 2600 FPS skyward at a squirrel sitting in top of a tree. Totally stupid yet legal. But I cannot shoot a 44 magnum rifle at a deer with a hill as backstop behind it.

It is just pure stupidity. Every year in Wisconsin the majority of accidents when someone is shot involves a shotgun. Slug hits something hard good luck guessing where it is gonna end up. Rifle round more often than not is gonna flatten and be stopped by whatever it hits or penetrate and expel it's energy. Just don't get the DNRs thinking.

Also funny how many people in shotgun zones have a nice pretty gun that looks like it has never been hunted hard or fired often that they carry into the woods. Yet they have a 30/30 or bolt action that is beat to hell and looks like it has not seen the inside of a building since it left the store. Gee wonder why that is smirk

Last edited by mike7mm08; 02/22/12.