MJS,

My dad was pretty handy but as a dairy farmer didn't get to use his skills except when absolutely necessary. The demands of milking cows and putting up feed took all his time. There was little time to take to educate a kid in carpentry. I learned most of my woodworking skill from Norm Abrams (New Yankee Workshop), and videos from a few other woodworking personalities. The rest, drywall, electrical and tile work I picked up from my contractor buddy. I help him with jobs frequently and get advice and help from time to time.

Most of it is simple math and trial and error. I make lots of mistakes that someone who had apprenticed in the trade would not. I have learned a great deal from my mistakes which just makes room for me to make new mistakes to learn from.

Don't be afraid to jump in and try it. It is not that difficult and you may surprise yourself with a new found interest. Beware though, woodworking is much like guns, there is much you just absolutely have to have, or at least think you have to have. It is every bit as slippery a slope as the one we go down with our guns and reloading.

And then once you have a handle on power tools, you will start getting interested in old hand tools. Man, there are tons of hand planes out there, for every imaginable application. I got started down that trail and haven't been able to find my way out of the old hand tool woods yet. Then there are chisels and hand saws. It never ends. crazy

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.