Note also, FC, that the only absolute way to achieve consistently exact alloys from one batch to the next is to start with virgin elements. The stuff we all commonly cast our bullets from- ww's, type metal, etc.- all vary to a degree within the formula for their compositions, as well as containing trace elements that may or may not effect hardness/castability. Still, I feel that alloying yields more consistent results than quenching- but quenching is ok. One thing I noticed once when casting a huge batch (over 1200) of .30 rifle bullets out of ww's+tin with the intent of using them over a summer of club competition/practice, and water quenching them to harden them, was that the water temperature rose rapidly in the container I was dropping them in which effected the bhn hardness between the first ones and the last ones. Not a huge difference, and it didn't seem to matter much at the range, but it got me to wondering.

No one said it would be easy/simple!

It's stuff like this that draws many of us into the hobby of casting bullets- delving into the intangibles and having a more intense relationship with our ammo. It adds a dimension that jacketed shooters miss out on, and causes many of them to shake their heads in wonder. (And who knows, they may be right! grin )

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty