Volt owner here. I've had the car since March, about 10,000 miles. Buying a Volt was a major investment but worth every penny. This is a wonderful car, the best I have ever owned. I'm not the only one who feels this way, Volt came in first place in Consumer Reports buyer satisfaction survey - beating every other car they track. It also beat every other GM car in their reliability rankings (I've had no service issues at all.)
The car is full of technological features, and is a lot of fun if you like voice control, bluetooth phone integration, MP3 player integration, satellite radio, GPS, OnStar, traction control, antilock brakes, etc. Don't fret about accessories - there's a separate accessory battery (just like in a normal car.) The only accessory that affects your driving range is heating/cooling.
It also accelerates wonderfully, and handles very well - plus driving is smoother and quieter than the finest luxury car. The best electric range I ever got was 55 miles, in good weather, moderate speeds, few stoplights. The worst was winter weather, in a hurry and driving like a maniac - I got 22 miles. Most of the time I get around 45 miles in summer, 30 in the middle of winter. A good trick in extreme temperatures is to pre-start the car while still plugged in. The car will warm up (or cool off) without draining the batteries.
I was lucky to find a free charger through a program with my electric utility (check with yours.) They also give me a split rate - and really cheap electricity if I charge overnight. I also charge at my local Meijers shopping center - they have a free charging station there. Plus I use the portable charging cord to charge while visiting friends' houses. A full charge is about 3 1/2 hrs, a partial charge (like when I go shopping at Meijer) is going to be an hour or so. The 110v portable cord is slower, but still worth topping off the charge whenever you can.

M2, M3, Rolleiflex 3.5 B, Yashica Mat 124G, Nikon D90, Nikon F100, Nikon FM, Pentax K1000, digital hd video camera..... Advice and constructive criticism always welcome..