Originally Posted by Robster
I am not from the west so cannot realize what elk hunting is actually like. I hunt Whitetail in the Northeast and do so with a revolver.

Is it realistic to hunt Elk with a revolver? I am not talking about Encore's or Strykers, I am interested in revolver hunting. If so would you need some huge hand numbing .454 full house loads or would a .44 mag work just fine? I know a lot of guys bow hunt, and I assume it is like hunting where I do. Elk are not spooked yet from all the gunshots and guys tromping through the woods. But once gun season opens.....

Just wondering if hunting Elk with a revolver what sort of expectation you have with actually getting close enough.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what you mean about guns going off and hunters stomping through the woods?

That's what you'll be experiencing here in Colorado. You can's use your handgun until the rifle seasons start. By then the bow hunters, muzzleloader hunters, bear hunters, and some deer hunters would be done hunting, and have alerted all game that it's hunting season, and you will be out during the most crowded season.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.