Originally Posted by Robster
I'm trying to figure out exactly what you mean about guns going off and hunters stomping through the woods?

In upstate NY, bow hunting starts in mid October. There are much less bowhunters than gun hunters, and bows are quiet. Opening day is not a big event like opening day of firearm deer season. Most bowhunters sit in trees, do not put on drives, are VERY careful about their scent and scent control. Sneak in and out of the woods. Opening day of gun season brings hunters out in droves. Hunter orange is seen in the woods, trucks parked up and down the roads, guys putting on drives etc. By the time opening morning is over, the deer are well aware it is hunting season, move less, and seem to go what seems like nocturnal awfully quick. Yes squirrel, rabbit and some bird seasons are open earlier than firearm season for deer, but the numbers of guys out in the woods for this reason is extremely small. I have only been to central arizona, and the feeling I get is the land is much more open than in the northeast and distances to shoot at game are much greater. I was wondering whether or not after a firearm season opens and the elk get spooky if it was even worth the effort to only hunt with a revolver. It seems quite a task to 1. even get within rifle range of an elk without spooking(sight, scent...) them and 2. Be able to use a revolver. In my limited knowledge if Elk hunting is anything like northeast deer hunting, the early season with a bow, before they are spooked by gunfire seems to be a reasonable proposition. But trying to get within the same range as you do with a bow to hunt with a revolver after they are spooked by the gun shots and masses tromping through the woods seems like an unreasonable proposition. That is why I asked the question. Knowing I have no knowledge of western hunting and wondering if hunting with a revolver would be a hopless hike in the woods.

Kind of what I thought you meant. Elk will bed down in timber. If you have any skills in still hunting. You can get close after rifle season is underway. It's the only way I hunt, and even though I use rifles I get very close to the game.

You hardly ever hear about that type of hunting, and never see it on hunting shows, but we have more timber than open areas. Close hunting is alive and well here.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.