Originally Posted by nsaqam
McM clearly states on their website that a swirly finish is a utility grade finish and says there will be imperfections.

Their painted stocks are both lighter and more finely finished than a swirly.

I'll take a perfectly fitting stock, precisely inletted with finish imperfections over a club with an aluminum crutch like the B&C every day all day.

Most are bedding their rifles so precise inletting is not needed. The difference between a 13" and 13.5" LOP is negated after putting on hunting clothing that adds a few inches of padding.

If ya'll pay 500.00 bones for a stock that is likely to have a sub-standard finish, this is really about weight.

I have asked before but I will ask again, if McMillan cut the weight of the stock in half, with equal strength, would you pay a grand?

Originally Posted by nsaqam
If you paid $500 for a wood stock I can assure you it wouldn't be close to AAA grade. Much closer to utility grade, if that.

You did not answer the question wink

Originally Posted by toad
RDW, have you owned or even held a McMillan stock?

toad, no, I will not pay 500.00 bones for a stock that will simply make me feel warm and fuzzy after buying it. If the stock was guaranteed to provide a 1/2 MOA reduction in groups out to 500 yards I might listen.

Yes, I have held one or two that a buddy owns, and he has not convinced me either and he is pretty damn smart with guns and such. But I told him the other day I want to spend some more time looking them over. In fact, I want to take some measurements and overlay them in cadd for comparison to the Medalist.

Dave