I've owned and hunted with both 260s and 7-08s in Remington M7s, and my bud hunted with his Tikka 7-08 (and me), and he just bought a like-new Rem 788 in 7-08. In fact, we sighted in the 788 just tonight. Nice rifle! Both calibers make excellent deer rifles. The 7-08 makes a bigger hole and throws a bit heavier bullet. The 260 recoils a bit less. I would get the 260 if its for a young or recoil-sensitive person, though the 7-08 definitely does not kick hard. I would choose the 7-08 if game larger than deer were in the plans, but the 260 will also kill game larger than deer. The choice of rifle is probably more important than the choice between these two cartridges. I think a Kimber 84M Montana in 260 or 7-08 would be sweet as honey. My 260 was a Rem M7SS which is a lot like the Montana, only just a little bit heavier. The Montana might operate just a bit smoother due to CRF. If it isn't real smooth right out of the box, a couple light, judicious strokes with a jeweler's file finished with fine Emery cloth will make it so in just a few minutes. The Remingtons feed real smooth but you do have to apply just a little more force when closing the bolt to cam the extractor over the rim (the cartridge feeds up under the extractor during chambering on CRF rifles). With my bud's 788 you have to push the bolt forward with the heel of your hand to make the extractor engage the cartridge rim because it has less camming action than the twin-front-lug M7s and 700s. My Rugers are smooth as butter. smile

Sorry to ramble. I love talking rifles. grin

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.