Stove nut? Who me? wink

Those numbers that MSR gives out are typically a little optimistic but also those numbers are lab numbers not "out in the field" numbers.

One thing not taken into account is wind. The PocketRocket sits up high and is harder to shield from wind whereas the Whisperlite is more slung AND comes with a windshield (which you should use).

I typically figure about 20g of canister gas per day for one person or about 30g for two -- if I'm not melting snow. If I'm melting snow, I double that.

I figure about 30g of white gas per day for one person or about 40g for two, again I double that amount if I'm melting snow.

One weight saving tip for longer or more fuel intensive trips: A single 450g canister of gas (Snow Peak, Jetboil, and Primus make them) will weigh less per gram of fuel than two 225g canisters.

I like my Whisperlite, and it's reasonably miserly on the gas, but it's not as light as a PR. The PR though is vulnerable to wind and cold. Both stoves will work fine at altitude. The Whisperlite is more fiddle but has much greater pot stability. The PR is as easy as pie to use but it's a lot easier to bend the pot supports and/or to dump your dinner.

For me, I'd be checking the weather reports. If it's much below 20F, I'd go with the Whisperlite. If I were using a big pot (like to melt snow or for group meals), I'd go with the Whisperlite. If you expect it to be windy, I'd go with the Whisperlite.

If you expect calm and warm and are going solo or with maybe one or at most two others, I'd go with the PR.

HJ