Hey Handgunners,
<br>
<br>I am primarily a rifleman, and am looking for some input on handguns. I have a Taurus in 44 Mag. I have no problem shooting it. I want to step up. I am going to trade the Taurus in on a Ruger Super Redhawk. I am considering another 44 Mag, the 454 Casull, and the 480 Ruger.
<br>
<br>Buffalo Bore and Garrett have some hot new loadings, but you need a strong revolver like the Ruger to handle it. They have a 305 grain 44 Mag load that supposedly has an MV of 1325 fps. The have a 325 grain 45 LC load that will go 1325. The 454 Casull loads are even faster, and the 480 loading uses a heavy bullet.
<br>
<br>Even in a 44 mag, the Super Redhawk will be an upgrade, allowing me to use the hotter ammo. However, why not step up even more? I'd use this gun for deer, black bear, hogs, and bear defense (like that will ever be needed). I suppose elk might even be a player down the road. I'm leaning toward the Casull because it has been around a while, and I can also shoot jacketed 45LC ammo in it. If the 480 Ruger was more established--or I could be convinced it was going to become popular, I'd get one of those.
<br>
<br>What do you guys think? What is the Casulls reputation/performance on large game? I am not recoil sensitive with rifles of handguns, so the Casull is indeed an option.
<br>
<br>Blaine