Some good advice here from the contributors. I mostly shoot moderate .45 long colt hand loads, and plan to use a slightly hotter one for hunting in my Ruger Super Red Hawk. I occasionally shoot the .454 Casull factory loads and would like to try one for the experience on a hog.

To control the .454's punch when shooting at a bench, I slightly bend both of my arms at the elbow, I don't keep the gun totally held out and stiff, this allows some pushing and give from the revolver and I don't get banged so hard.

However, I know that I need to keep the gun well away from me to avoid getting hit in the forehead. There are some You Tube videos showing women getting smacked this way. The .454 is a hard recoiling cartridge, and I only shoot less than 12 rounds a day. I confess that I am worried about flinching though, in a hunting situation I probably will only get one shot off anyways, and when I do take a shot I am totally concentrating on the animal I am aiming at. You get so pumped that I don't notice any kick of the gun, maybe the "bang", and the animal being hit.

Last edited by HE112; 04/14/12.