Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
I think if your stock fits you properly a conventional mount is just as fast and the optics are significantly better with more options.

Another Jedi rifleman ex-spurt who doesn't own a shooting timer.

I dont consider myself a Jedi but after having the opportunity to train along side men such as Bennie Cooley and Michael Voight I have used a timer once or twice to see if I could pick up a speed advantage. After putting it on the clock many times in training and matches my experience leads me to a true zero magnification like an aimport or eotech for CQB applications (mounted almost anywhere on the rail). As soon as the range extends a bit or if magnifaction is needed for target identification I would rather have a simple 1.5x6 mounted in a conventional manner. If scout optics were a speed advantage there would be plenty of guys running them.

I have tried the scout concept twice for extended periods, once on a .35 Whelen and once on a gunsite scout at the ranch. I saw merit in both but could not see enough advantages to a conventional scope except in very narrow applications. I encourage everyone to experiment and find what works for them and apply it in the field accordingly.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper